Ageing is inevitable whether we like it or not. “Tick-tock-tick-tock-tick-tock,” says the clock. I am one who is not gifted with a flawless skin. But I learned to live with what I have and appreciate it by taking care of my cells the best way I can. I’m not vain when it comes to physical appearance. Sometimes it is just surprising and flattering at the same time when I get honest compliments from other people on how I looked younger than my real age, when getting asked by jeepney/cab drivers/museum attendants if I was a student so they can charge me with a discount, and when being told my face was glowing.
In a fun run event that I attended before, my friend suddenly pulled me to a sponsor’s booth where they had an apparatus that can detect one’s body age. She had just finished and the result was that her body was 6 years older than her actual age. I gamely agreed to try it as well. Since the sponsor sold adult milk drink with ingredients to reduce body stress, I kind of expected all the results would be bad or worse so they can get people to buy their product. On the other hand, I wanted to challenge their test and kind of expected that the result would be on my favor because that was the time when I started to take fruits and veggies smoothie for breakfast, and jogged at least 3 times a week. Guess what and are you ready for this? It turned out that my body age was 1 year younger than my actual age! How good can that make one feel?!
My regimen was not really new, but may have been taken for granted by many. They are simple, doable, and almost always readily available. However, it may require discipline and determination to do it and harvest its fruits in due time.
If still interested on how to delay ageing like I did, read on.
- Moisturize. Moisturizing cream or lotion indeed helps the skin become soft and supple. But aside from this skin-deep remedy, drinking lots of water everyday is advised. In general, 6 to 8 glasses of water is recommended.
But I think the ideal amount of water intake per person varies. I consume 3 liters of water everyday. I use my 1 liter Nalgene bottle for measuring. I make sure that I refill it with water 3 times in a day and drink everything. I made a little experiment when I started this. I showed up to a friend after more than one month of drinking at least 3 liters of water daily. Guess what, she noticed that I looked younger even without me asking if something has changed. The cells in our body need water in order to function well. If one can only understand the importance of being sufficiently hydrated, maybe there would be lesser people getting avoidable health conditions such as kidney problems, dry skin, constipation, slipped disc, and many more.
- Eat vegetables (lots of it) and fruits (in moderation). It took me years to finally like eating vegetables. I even craved for some vegetables once in a while. My favorites are broccoli (Brassica oleracea var. italica) and pechay (Brassica rapa) (now I just learned that broccoli and pechay belong to the same genus). Some time in my life, I was convinced that the human body was designed to eat plants rather than meat. I read that in the book “Awaken the Healer in You.”
A few weeks after I started to take in pure juice from 28 pieces of green calamansi on an empty stomach every single morning, I got compliments about the glow in my face. After taking in the calamansi juice, I prepared my vegetables and fruits smoothie. I did experiment on combinations each morning. I can just imagine the enzyme from fresh fruits and vegetables processing the vitamins and minerals I took in, then getting the healthy benefits that the different fruits and vegetables offer. Heat destroys enzymes so it is better to eat fruits and vegetables raw, but clean.
- Exercise. Exercise is one thing dreaded by many when they need to be healthy or to shed some extra pounds. I’ve known a few people, myself included at times, who did research and tried other means to substitute exercise but get the same results only to go back to the fact that the body needs exercise. I’ve accepted that long ago. But why is exercise so hard for some people? I can name a few reasons. 1) laziness, 2) not trying hard to find time, 3) lack of discipline. However, if one will just have a second look at exercise, a chance to contemplate it on, the person may come to like or even love it as well. Give it a try. Force yourself to do some exercise for 28 days straight and see what happens (it takes 28 days to form a habit). There are many forms of exercise. Discover what’s best for you. It should be something you enjoy rather than make you feel burdened. Seek advice from a health professional if you have a health condition. Take note that exercise is not just for the purpose of having a beach-ready body. Exercise activates the body cells to function properly.
- Get at least 6 hours of sleep daily. If I could go back in time and there’s one thing I can change, that is to sleep in the afternoon when I was a kid and did not have afternoon classes. I could have been taller than I am now. It is when we are asleep that some parts of our body refreshes, develops, heals, generates. Don’t you just feel good, refreshed, and energized after having slept well at night? “Nasa dugo lang yan” (“It’s just in the blood.”), says the slogan of a food supplement that says it helps get the red blood cells healthy. I tried to be regular blood donor, donating blood every quarter as it is my dream to become a Galloner blood donor. It was thrice already that I got deferred because I failed in the copper sulfate test. One possible cause could be low hemoglobin. The only reason I can think of why I failed was lack of sleep even a few nights before. Sometimes sleeping hours is taken for granted by adults because they have a lot of things to do. But the fact is, sleeping time matters.
- Choose to be happy as much as possible. True beauty comes from within. That is not a consolation for people who are stereotyped as ugly. One’s aura truly emanates the beauty that cannot be seen and it makes one beautiful inexplicably. A person can be beautiful if he is truly happy.